Review Our Business
Schedule an appointment TODAY! 931-967-3595

All About Chimney Mold

Water in the chimney can create the perfect place for molds to grow. That's not good! Make sure your chimney is waterproofed.

Water in the chimney can create the perfect place for molds to grow. That’s not good! Make sure your chimney is waterproofed.

You may have noticed a dank, dusty smell coming from your chimney. This is never a good sign as it indicates you more than likely have mold growing on the inside of your chimney, and if you can smell it, a health risk may be present. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), indoor exposure to mold can adversely affect your health, causing throat irritation, nasal stuffiness, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or skin irritation. If someone has allergies to mold, his or her health is in more danger as severe reactions can occur, and if one has a chronic lung illness, he or she could develop a serious lung infection when exposed to mold. If you do have mold in your chimney, you need to solve the problem of from where the mold is coming. Most likely from dampness due to a water leak, A-1 Chimney Specialist is certified to locate and repair chimney water leaks. Our certified technicians can also clean out the mold from your chimney and then protect your chimney from future water leaks to stop the damp environment where mold loves to grow.

How does mold grow in a chimney?

In most cases, fireplaces are only used once a year, and unused chimneys are the perfect environment for mold to grow. Dark and poorly ventilated when not in use, chimneys can also be damp if water leaks are present. Certain strains of mold grow very quickly, so you can have a serious problem on your hands before you know it.

What are the signs of mold in my chimney?

Sometimes, you can actually see the mold on the bricks of your fireplace, and it can even spread to the ceiling and walls around your fireplace. Most often, the mold is up inside your chimney, and it can be difficult to spot. The most common detector is the smell: a musty odor that is unmistakably mold. You may also notice having breathing problems. As soon as you notice either of these signs, you should immediately have your house inspected for mold.

How do I get rid of the mold in my chimney?

You can remove mold from bricks using an anti-fungal cleanser and a long-handled brush by yourself; however, it is usually better to call a mold removal professional to do the work for you. Once the mold is gone, you will want to contact A-1 Chimney Specialist for a chimney sweep as well as a chimney leak inspection to see if we need to do any repairs.

How can I prevent mold from growing back in my chimney?

The best prevention is keeping water penetration at bay, and we at A-1 Chimney Specialist offer a few solutions to help you keep your chimney dry. One way we can protect your chimney from water intrusion is waterproofing. Using a specially-made 100% vapor permeable solution to coat your chimney’s walls, water cannot get in, but your chimney can “breathe” and release toxic gases. Another method of preventing water leaks is custom flashing installation. The technicians at A-1 Chimney Specialist are experts in creating the perfect sealed fit where your chimney and roof meet, ensuring water stays out.

If you suspect mold is growing in your chimney, do not delay and contact our experts at A-1 Chimney Specialist to schedule a consultation as soon as possible.