It’s dirty. It’s sticky. It is extremely flammable. Creosote is something that is almost impossible to avoid, and is extremely harmful to your chimney. However, if you catch it in time, creosote can be removed before it sinks into the structure of your chimney. To get more information on a chimney sweep or any other chimney related questions, contact the professionals at A-1 Chimney Specialists.
Creosote is the byproduct that is released when untreated wood burns. This will then clump together and cause blockages inside of your chimney. When these clumps grow large enough, they can begin to slow the draft through your chimney. This makes the smoke and harmful gases unable to exit the home. This can put you and your family in danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. The symptoms for CO poisoning include anything from headaches and nausea to severe cases of difficulty breathing and even fatality. Creosote can also lead to chimney fires. When the heat from the fire comes into contact with the clumps, it can begin to spark. Since chimney fires spread so easily, it can overtake your home in minutes.
The best way to get rid of creosote is to have a chimney sweep. You should have at least one a year, but it is recommended that you have two. One should be after burning season to remove any build up, and the second should be before to remove anything that they may have missed or that has built up over the summer. The person doing your chimney sweep should always be Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) certified. To prepare the chimney, make sure that you do not burn any fires for at least 24 hours so that the unit has enough time to cool down. Next, move all of the furniture away from the fireplace so that it does not become dirty or damaged. Lastly, for their safety and the safety of the technicians lock your pets away in a spare room. You can find a reliable chimney sweep by asking friends and family, or by looking at various online websites.