IF YOUR CHIMNEY IS CRYING OUT FOR HELP, CALL US!
TN / 931-967-3595 • AL / 256-285-4895
The holidays are here and preparations are in full swing. Homeowners are stocking up on food, gifts, and more as they gear up for days filled with parties and family get-togethers. To-do lists grow and everyone seems to be busy as the days count down fast. There is always a lot going on, so remember to stay alert to any fires or open flames throughout the house. Between cooking, lighting candles, hanging lights, and utilizing the fireplace, statistics show that damage from fires is heightened this time of year. At A-1 Chimney Specialist, one thing we know about is fireplace safety. Read up on some of these tips to ensure you and your family stay as safe as possible during the festive weeks ahead.
Having a professional in to check everything out can make a substantial difference in how efficiently your fireplace runs. If repairs or cleanings are needed, no fires should be lit. Doing so will put your home and family at an increased risk for harm. Excess debris, creosote, and blockages all are major triggers for chimney fires and smoking issues. Avoid expensive damage and health issues by calling in one of our experts to take a look today!
While decorating the mantle may seem like a classic way to spread some Christmas cheer, it could be putting you in some danger. Ensure that all décor is far away from the fireplace anytime you have a fire going. Most of the decorations out there are highly flammable and stray embers or sparks could easily cause them to ignite. Play it safe and keep your Christmas stockings far away from the fireplace.
When wrapping paper, plastic dishware, and more start to pile up, you may think burning them would be an easy way to clean the house. Always remember – this is a bad idea! Doing so causes smoking issues, creosote build-up, and hotter fires. All of these things put your home at a higher risk for house fires and put your family and possessions in harm’s way. Burn only seasoned wood to ensure a clean and efficient fire every time around.
Cleaning out the ash and soot on a regular basis is good practice when comes to maintaining fireplace health. When doing this, use metal tools and storage containers to ensure no potential fires will ignite. Coals can stay live for days, so store all of your ash in something non-flammable that can be tightly sealed. Place the container on brick, stone, or another similar surface, and keep it away from your home until you know everything has sufficiently cooled.
As always, turn to A-1 Chimney Specialist if you have any other questions. We can assist with any chimney repairs, installations, cleanings, or more! We work carefully and professionally so that you can rest easy, and enjoy a safe and happy holiday season. Call us today!