Any homeowner with a fireplace should be aware of the importance of regular chimney maintenance. Annual inspections are vital in ensuring the safety of one’s home and family members. Between blockages, cracks or holes, and the various types of build-up that can accumulate over time, using it before getting the okay from an expert could cause countless negative consequences.
Creosote is a dangerous substance that accumulates in a fireplace as fires are lit throughout the year. It comes in different colors and forms, and it is a major cause for chimney fires. To avoid issues with creosote, the most important step you can take is to call in a certified professional who can remove it properly.
Many feel that chimney sweeping and cleaning is a job that can be done themselves, but this is not the safest option. Often times, certain chemicals need to be used to remove excess debris and, without the proper use of tools and appropriate products, a homeowner could easily cause damage to their chimney, their home, or themselves.
To ensure that everything will run smoothly throughout your next burning season, hire a pro to check your chimney out. They know exactly what to look for and which steps to take to get your chimney in the best condition possible before putting it to more frequent use.
While creosote is not completely unavoidable, there are ways to slow down the rate at which it accumulates. The main things you can do are burn wood that is properly seasoned, regulate air flow, and control the temperatures of the fires you burn.
At A-1 Chimney Specialist, we know how to get your chimney in the best shape possible before you start lighting up those Fall fires. Call us in today!